Chelone glabra Black Ace
  • Subject: Chelone glabra Black Ace
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 17:42:56 -0500

I have had this tall white turtlhead for about 4-5 yrs. Because of chipmunk activity and the fact that the soil was too well draining for it to begin with, the plant hasn't done as well the past couple of years. I only now got around to digging it up, even though I suspect spring would be a much better time to divide it.

While digging the clump I noticed one stem had bent halfway up so it's head was in the soil. What surprised me was that its head - you know, where the flowers are supposed to be - had developed roots and was starting a new plant. I have layered shrubs this way and I've had groundcovers like Chrysogonum and Lamium do this, but I don't think I've ever seen a tall growing, clump forming perennial root from the top like this.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Is it normal? Any input would be appreciated.

neIN, Zone 5