  • Subject: Serendipity
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:46:31 -0400 (EDT)

As you all know, I'm not a very neat gardener.  I let things grow
where they want to, if I don't need the space for something else.
Especially wild flowers that some people call weeds, like my
beloved milkweeds.  Another favorite that I let place itself is
Joe Pye weed, and I have had a handsome one in the front bed
this season.  Well, I thought I had another coming along in a
crack in the front steps.  Usually I have Columbine there in the
spring, and I thought I would let this grow until it got too big.
As the season advanced it didn't get as big as Joe Pye usually
does, but I thought it was probably because of the limited space
it was growing in - really just a crack.  Also, it didn't bloom as
soon as the Joe Pye in the bed, but I told myself that it was
because it was in more shade.  Well, it has finally bloomed,
very heavily, and it is white!  What do I have? and where did it
come from?  I have looked in the wildflower books, and online,
but nothing matches.  It definitely is not Boneset, which is a
white flower in the same family.  It's foliage and growth habit
is much like the blue Eupatorium coelestinum (some people
call it perennial Ageratum, which it it not) that I have a nice
bed of.  The bloom is much the same, too, but it is bright
white.  Any ideas?