From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 6:46:31 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Serendipity

As you all know, I'm not a very neat gardener. I let things grow
where they want to, if I don't need the space for something else.
Especially wild flowers that some people call weeds, like my
beloved milkweeds. Another favorite that I let place itself is
Joe Pye weed, and I have had a handsome one in the front bed
this season. Well, I thought I had another coming along in a
crack in the front steps. Usually I have Columbine there in the
spring, and I thought I would let this grow until it got too big.
As the season advanced it didn't get as big as Joe Pye usually
does, but I thought it was probably because of the limited space
it was growing in - really just a crack. Also, it didn't bloom as
soon as the Joe Pye in the bed, but I told myself that it was
because it was in more shade. Well, it has finally bloomed,
very heavily, and it is white! What do I have? and where did it
come from? I have looked in the wildflower books, and online,
but nothing matches. It definitely is not Boneset, which is a
white flower in the same family. It's foliage and growth habit
is much like the blue Eupatorium coelestinum (some people
call it perennial Ageratum, which it it not) that I have a nice
bed of. The bloom is much the same, too, but it is bright
white. Any ideas?
Auralie