This Week

Things are beginning to happen in the hosta garden and in the plant room.  In
the plant room I continue to water, trim flower stalks and sympathize with
the poor seedlings over their crowded conditions and their need to be moved
into gallon containers.  Since there is no heat in the growing houses, I
continue to wait in case a cold front comes along. If it turns cold it would
just be another few thousand plants to protect.  The plants too are waiting
so when the time comes to move they should be rested and ready to undertake a
new surge of growth. To me this first new growth is one of the most exciting
periods in the life of a seedling.  It is often difficult to believe the
changes that take place in the leaves' shapes and sizes.  It is also
interesting that I now have worry about cold weather.  In early Jan I moved
plants from the plant room into the houses hoping they would go dormant.  We
never did get cold enough for them to die back.  They just sat there until
the sun got warmer and begin to grow again.

In the garden as I encourage the hostas to slow their growth, I frown at the
wild cherry seedlings and other things that are beginning to emerge.  Many of
the hostas are getting far too large to cover and frost is forecast for Wed
morning.  Each year I make a decision to develop only varieties that come up
late but the resolution is always broken because of the desirability of some
of the earlier plants.

We have just finished restoring another area of the garden.  By that I mean
completely remaking the soil.  The clay is now so far below the imported
materials that it should take the plants at least 3 years to reach into it.
I will begin planting this area as soon as the weather permits.  If I
continue adding to the beds the walk will become a valley.  Already we have
added drains to carry out the water that flows down the walk as if it were a
wet weather creek.

We have had some much needed rain this weekend.  Last night brought an inch
and more is forecast for tomorrow. This will accelerate the hostas' growth.

I saw my first snake of 2000 on the last day of March.  I believe that is
several weeks earlier than normal but then so is everything else.  The colors
in new tree foliage is especially brilliant this year.  Japanese Maples are
sparkling against the rich green grass and the white dogwood flowers.  I know
they are really braces but I am just a child at heart and really enjoy
thinking of them as flowers.

I have a question.  I keep getting mail that is a reply to something that I
never received the original letter.  Is this happening to others?  Sometimes
it is difficult to understand what everyone is discussing.
Mary