Older Hostas

I have a problem with some of my older hostas........about 10 years old, or
more. The roots all end up on top of the soil......like they are reaching for
the sky. I have clay soil, but it has been well composted etc. I have tried
dividing them and replanting, but they don't get the hint of what they are
supposed to do. Any ideas out there?