Re: soil tester

In a message dated 4/5/00 8:01:13 PM Central Daylight Time, zumach@execpc.com

<< Hi All--Can anyone recommend a reliable, inexpensive soil tester?  I'm
thinking it would be nice to be able to determine the N-P-K p >>
I both a pH meter and total soluable salts meter that my wife purchased for
me from A M Lenard, although I have seen them in many nurserys also. I have
calibrated the pH meter against my wife's food science equipment and it seems
to be accurate.  The soluable salts meter only gives total salts, not
individual components, as an aid to avoid over fertilizing. Each was under
$30.  I'm not aware of an inexpensive device that reads levels of the
macronutrients individually. Another interesting "toy" that has come down
considerably in price are light meters.  For $35, I got one that measures
foot candles of both incandescent and and sunlight/HID.  After using it I was
able to cut back on the hours my high pressure sodium light is on and it will
probably pay for itself in a couple of years. Hope this helps.

Dave Drum
Wayzata Mn
Zone 4