Re: Pileated Woodpeckers

Denise -  I called Terminix and they said they would have to drill holes
in the walls to determine exactly where they are--the house is only 3
years old.  Information I'm now getting says carpenter ants (I haven't
examined the ones in the tree) are reddish brown--these are black, but
Terminix says carpenter ants are the only ones that large. They also
said their treatment wouldn't hurt the woodpeckers.

Husband talked with friends who have had similar problems and wants to
try their remedy first.  The baits DID cut down drastically on the ants,
and the location where I first noticed them now has a lot of dead ones
and no live ones.  I about have to go along with husband first, but
we'll keep on top of it.

Appreciate everyone's your suggestions, and will try more than one.