Re: Pileated Woodpeckers

AtI've had first-hand experience with carpenter ants in the carriage house of
my old 1845 home and I can tell you for certain that they are black, not
and are quite large (the workers).  The do have a sweet tooth and I used a
home-made mix of say a teaspoon of borax to two cups granulated sugar or
Karo syrup finely mixed and they seemed to feed on it steadily and die.  I
used Taro and they were certainly reduced significantly, indicating that a
long term project might be effective.  I haven't torn into the area above the
roof, where I first spotted them, to check if they are eliminated, so can't
say it is totally effective.  I'm sure exterminators will give you another
and they may be right, but I am skeptical of their motives.  Good luck.