From: Beth Arnold <seabeth@heart.net>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: Making Potting Soil

I've been off the air and just read both posts.  I did not take it as a
challenge at all.

I also did not put this recipe together.  It was one sent to me by
Indianabob.  This is what he uses in pots for planting hostas so as not
use soil.  As I remember the topic, it was to prevent rot in potted
hostas,
perhaps by overwatering , don't use soil.  So I ask, what can I put
together
for hostas in pots since I don't have a place to do compost.

Mine was a suggestion that if using sawdust, more -N- fert is needed to
offset the -N- use of the sawdust in decomposition the first year.
Best Regards, Beth