Re: Tips from George Schmid

I noticed you sent the message to the Pheonix too.  I thought she threw your ass off that robin.

Dan Nelson wrote:

I would like to add a couple of tips that George didn't suggest that may be useful for hosta gardeners facing drought. 4) Prune the roots of the trees that may be competing with your hostas. Take a sharpe spade and push it into the ground making a circle around your hostas about one foot away from the edge of the hostas rhizome. At this distance there should be no hosta roots but any tree roots in this area and at this depth would be severed. If your trees are healthy and you can make a larger circle it would help the hostas even more. This should repeated at least every year. 5) Use water absorbing polymers and work them into the ground when you plant your new hostas. I was at Bob Kuk's two summers ago and he swears by them. Dan Nelson