Re: crocus, & now Oriental lilies

My husband & I have grown Oriental lilies for many years now and have not had any problems.  They do NOT double and triple like the Asiatic lilies do, but most of the Asiatic do not have any smell either.  I, too, bought many more Oriental lily bulbs yesterday at KMart (20% off retail)  I can hardly wait until I can put them in.  Our yard smells so nice from June to August (different types bloom at different times).  We also have loads of daylilies, blooming from May/June to the end of the summer.  Of course, July is when they are most prolific.  We also have loads of hosta and hundreds of each of crocus, daffodil, tulips, and many other bulbs and plants that come back every year.  I LOVE Spring, Summer, and early fall!!!

Mary B.
-----Original Message-----
From: Cindy Johnson <cidjohnson323@mediaone.net>
To: ShadeGardens <shadegardens@maelstrom.stjohns.edu>; Hosta-open <hosta-open@mallorn.com>; hostapix@yahoogroups.com <hostapix@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sunday, April 01, 2001 11:27 PM
Subject: Re: crocus, & now Oriental lilies

Bob wrote:
I just did a search and found the site and also I am sure the name of
the crocus.
http://www.vanengelen.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Item&_recordnum=3140&_category=Crocus
Crocus chrysanthus Cream Beauty
I bought about 50 oriental lilies yesterday at Walmart. Other places
bulbs are larger but I have bought alot of lilies from Walmart and they
seem to do ok. There is nothing prettier or smells better than an
oriental lily.

Thanks for the name, Bob.  I added it to my list of "wants".  I see Van Engelen's is sold out on this one for now.  I can see why.

I bought some Asiatic lilies from Home Depot last week and saw they also had a lot of Orientals too.  I didn't get them, even though I loved the look of some of them, because I read on one of these list serves that the Orientals have more problems than the other lilies.  Does anyone know about that or remember the post?  maybe from Claire Peplowski?

Thanks,
indy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a