Re: Three layers in Hostas?

Hi Ran,

We are discussing the meristem only, according to Vaughn, Marcotrigiano,
Dermen and Stewart, etc.etc. . The three layers correspond to the three
layers of cells observed looking at a cross section of a meristem. These
layers are one cell thick at the apex of the meristem  ( but may become
thicker in a later stage of growth) and have been called by Dermen and
Stewart whose work this is...LI, LII and L III.

LI in monocots  develops into the upper epidermal layer and the  border
tissue in a periclinal chimera. The L II develops into the central part ( the
medio part) of a mediovariegated leaf, for example,   part of the  scape
tissue, and  the ovule tissue in the seed pod. The mesophyll or palisade
cells between cutin  and the upper and lower epidermis cells, as seen in a
cross section of a leaf,  could be of either LI or LII derivation ( depending
upon where you are looking). ..L III does not exist in the leaf according to
Vaughn, only on other parts of the plant such as roots, rhizome tissue, etc.
The hangup, I believe,  is that Joe has said he thinks that central layer
means "core"? layer of the plant. I think that what Vaughn meant when he said
central layer ( or central tissue) is the one between LI and LIII in the
meristem. I don't know what the "core" means unless it means L III tissue of
the plant. But this is Joe's term. Let's ask him.  Who knows???..I have been
wrong before. What do you say Joe? Did I interprete this wrong?