Re: Master Gardener

I went through our County Master Gardener program just over a year ago, and
the one thing that I REALLY learned is how much I still have yet to learn,
but it's given me an appetite to always be reading and learning and doing
more.  Our program is great, it's live so we can ask questions and get hands
work with plants any time we want to.

The entire U.S. Master Gardener concept started here in my county, Pierce
County, Washington, so we have literally the first "master gardeners" ever.
There is a huge knowledge base here, we have hundreds of MG's of all age and
skill levels, and I can't say enough good about it. I help out with our
yearly plant sale (which brings in a huge portion of our $$ for the year),
as well as plant clinics at local nurseries, etc. But my main focus is on
teaching a curriculum called "Growing with Plants" to elementary school
kids.  It's amazing how many kids think that carrots just come from plastic
bags in the grocery store and they have no idea what gardens are all about.
Just seeing these kids' faces is worth it.

I also don't really care for the title 'master' gardener, I think it implies
way too much, but that's the way it is.  For anyone who is interested in
knowing more about plants in your particular region, and if you can invest
one day a week for about three months, it's well worth it.

Andi