Re: Missing hostas

  • Subject: Re: Missing hostas
  • From: "Helen" <msbucky@rogers.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:58:01 -0500

Hi Ann

I'm far from being an expert on this so I really hesitated to put my ten cents worth in... but... something did occur to me.  Do you have a particularly rainy winter season there in Conroe?  Many plants prefer to be only damp or on the dryer side while dormant -  Seems to me they would have gone dormant without a problem, and yes, they should be up by now, but if your season is on the mild side and rainy, could be it was too wet for the dormant plants and they rotted in the ground.  You may get away with growing hostas in your area, and certainly it would be worth a try, especially if some kind soul (sorry - I'm in Canada) were to send you a few plants to try with (instead of making another large investment) - I would suggest that as soon as the plants go dormant in late fall early winter, you place a tarp over the area to keep them on the dryer side, and see if that does it.

Sometimes I lose a few plants (or more than a few) with hosta stock that I have potted up, not inground.  When it happens, it's always because too much melting snow or rain got into the pots and kept them soaking wet - Like your case, there is little if anything to find in the pot come spring.  I try to keep all the potted ones covered to keep the wet out and those survive fine.

The other thing you can try, is to pot them in large pots - sink them in for the growing season and remove them to cover for the winter season.

Helen