Re: Missing hostas

  • Subject: Re: Missing hostas
  • From: "Helen" <msbucky@rogers.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:16:12 -0500

Hi Ann
As you don;t know what happened - perhaps it's too soon to give up?  I mean if they absolutely disappeared without a trace??? it's just possible the deer came back and pulled them straight out of the ground if they weren't very big or well rooted in... or I guess there is also the chance that being somewhat unknown in your area someone couldn't resist the temptation???  It's also possible that your landscaper, or rather one of his helpers, oversprayed with weed killer when tending the lawn -  Especially if that person wasn't familiar with hostas anyway - might even have 'cleaned up' (translation weeded them out) at the end of the season in the mistaken notion that they were dead annuals!  really, anything is possible.  It's quite strange that ALL of them are missing - you would think at least 2 or 3 would have made it. No?  I think I'd mention something to the landscape people about not clearing your flower beds in the fall, - just in case...