H. 'Dragon Lady'

  • Subject: H. 'Dragon Lady'
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 15:53:31 -0400

Hi Guys:

 There was some discusssion about H. 'Dragon Lady' a week or so ago. I
dropped Mildred a line and she called me the other day and gave me the
answer. I might add that she is very lively in Delaware.  The following
quote raises the question. I'll give you Mildred's "The Rest Of The Story"
after the quote.

" I have Dragon Lady but know nothing about Sea Dragon

Hi, Mike:

I've known Mildred for a mere 9 years before she moved to Delaware last July.
 I have never heard of 'Dragon Lady' until recently.  I checked in Van Wade
hosta tome and he doesn't have either listed.  However, I do know that
sometimes the "Sea" was omitted.  So, 'Dragon Lady' could be 'Sea Dragon
Lady.'  Unfortunately, my research on 'Sea Dragon' has come up empty handed.

If anyone has it, it would be Ken Ziarek.  I just check his catalogue...he's
got both listed: 'Sea Dragon' @ $75 and 'Sea Dragon Lady' on display.  I know
someone who purchased OS 'Sea Dragon Lady' for $75.

Mildred told me that her daughter Muriel picked out a sister seedling from
the batch that produced H. 'Komodo Dragon'. She said that Charlie was there
at the time and they were going to throw the seedling out (although I am
not convinced that Mildred would throw out a seedling), and that her
daughter wanted the plant. So Muriel took it home and named it; H. 'Dragon
Lady'. Mildred said that the plant grew wonderfully for her daughter and
took on an immense size.  It is not registered, but apparently never had
the appelation of "Sea" in front of it. Although you can see why it might.
That, is the rest of the story.  Glen W.

" gui me amat, amat et canem meam"
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont