More Deer Defense Ideas

  • Subject: More Deer Defense Ideas
  • From: "Sarah Jayne" SarahJayne@attbi.com
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:30:53 -0400

Hi again Alteera,

Are you getting the idea that the theme of your llife at your new place will
be "Me Against the Deer"? (They are majestic). Another quick solution is to
have a couple pieces of large square wire (i.e. sheep fencing) say, 4 x 6'.
If I notice a plant area or prize specimen that might be the next victim and
I don't have time (or energy) to do anything else I grab a piece of wire and
throw it over or right next to the plant. Theoretically the deer shy from
stepping on it because the hooves get stuck in it. So far it's worked. Also
I set it down on known deer pathways. I read that you can do something with
this type of fencing similar to the fish line mesh idea that George
mentioned and build a horizontal fence laid flat across the ground but
elevated about 10 inches above the ground and it would work sort of like a
cattle gaurd works. It would be less expensive than a vertical fence since 8
feet high is required vertically. Luckily, the Deer Off (which is organic,
not chemicals) is much easier. I wonder if the Bitrex that George mentioned
is environmentally friendly because it sounded surely permanent for the
summer whereas I've not risked finding out if Deer Off REALLY does withstand
weather like the label says. Don't want to push my luck!

Best of luck!
Sarah Jayne
Goochland, Virginia
website:  oldgarden.com