Re: Mini/tiny hostas

  • Subject: Re: Mini/tiny hostas
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: 16 Apr 2004 15:59:23 -0600

<<<<<<<<Do tiny clumps of established mini
hostas need special mulching because of the root proximity to the

Special mulching?   You mean beyond a normal 1-2 inches?   I think they might like to have their roots covered, i.e. protected from the drying out that would come from the heat and UV rays.   Of course, liking it and requiring it are two different things with Hosta.  The question is, what does it take to make them "thrive".

For the last couple of years, I have switched to mulching only with compost.  I used to use cedar chips, or cypress, but I found I was spending an inordinate amount of time and money for these products.   This year, I'll probably use 4-8 yards of compost (8 yards is now the minimum order from our City's compost operation) and the plants will never look better than after a fresh mulching.  And when the mulch is wet, well I just don't know how they could show any better.   (Something one learns when you finally go to some major Hosta tours!)

I try to keep the compost back an inch or two from the crown.    Beyond that, I think that, I believe this is a treatment the Hostas thank me for each spring as it helps to keep their feet cool through the hot summer and they seem to enjoy that.

On another note.

A few years ago, I remember Kevin Walek commenting, "we're not giving our Hostas enough water".   Since then, I've wanted to install irrigation and am finally getting to it this spring.  Killed all of the grass out front last fall, tilled in lots of that good compost, then acted like a big mole with a shovel, and now my neighbors are wondering if I'll ever get it put back together.

I should be reseeding what is left of a lawn area within a week or two.  About then, I'll either be jumping for joy or not quite (now and then I forget to weld a PVC joint and that seems to extend the project a bit :-) ).   I got over the hurdle of building the manifold just yesterday and I expect I'm on the downward slope.

Anyone have recommendations for how much to water?   3-5 inches per week?   1-3?   I imagine early in the season, until about July 15, is the most important time but I'm open to other authoritative experience.   Maybe there has been some articles in either of the Journals?

Andrew Lietzow
In Des Moines, where is feels like 85 but it's actually 86!  Wowzer.