Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Question

  • Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Question
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:27:18 -0400

This is precisely Nature's way. Whenever a true but "bad" mutation occurs,
the change is either repaired subsequently or, if not, the abnormal is
eliminated during one or more succeeding generations. This also holds for
chimeral rearrangements (a bad state for hostas because the rearranged
tissue has less chlorophyll). The latter are considered stable by many, but
there is nothing stable about such abnormal results in nature, it just takes
longer to eliminate the abnormal. Over the last 40 years of observing
variegated hostas, I have seen plenty of so-called "stable" variegated
hostas turn all green (when left to their own devices) and I have come to
the conclusion that nothing is absolutely stable in the plant kingdom. Even
the "all-green" species adapt to ecological changes and speciate
accordingly. We just don't live long enough to observe some of these
reversions. This statement may not be as poetic as Glen's but these are the
facts. Evolution has been going on forever and will continue forever (don't
ask me to define forever - that is a philosophical question). If hostas
outlive the human race, who is "rescuing" all those variegated "misfits,"
all those survivor hostas will return to their normal green state. George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
84-12'-30" West_33-51' North