hosta problems - the nightmare

Hostas turned to mush+ACE- This sounds very frustrating. Have you had below
freezing weather since your hosta +ACI-buds+ACI- started showing? How tall are
your hosta buds? Had your hosta buds grown much before you uncovered
their growing area? I have seen hosta pips rot that had tried to come up
through a thick, damp layer of leaf mulch.

I have had  hosta pips freeze and turn to mush before. None this year
though. If a plant does turn to mush from freezing, the tissue will rot
and the rot can spread into healthy tissue.

I would suggest a systemic fungicide application to stop any further
rot. Benlate or Benomyl, Cleary's 3336, Daconil are some that come to

I have never had a rot problem on the scale that you are having.
Hopefully someone that has had the same problem will step forward with a

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7
      +ACI-The future isn't what it use to be.+ACI-   Arthur C. Clarke