Re: hosta problems - the nightmare-one more thing

In a message dated 4/12/1999 9:26:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
sholtzma@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu writes:

<< O, the start of going into dormancy.  Now most that were in this condition
 are fine; I don't think that the pot-growing had anything to do with it but
 perhaps the bark mix had something in it to encourage fungal/bacterial
 problems later on.  Seems funny.

 Stacy

 a problem with moving Hosta from pots to the ground or to another pot in
fall is that the plants decide to grow more and do not form eyes and never
really harden off for winter.

I had this problem this year with a few plants, I moved some Hosta from
smaller pots into larger pots (200 plants) and those plants had losses (50
plants) . While those that stayed in the smaller pot all winter made it
through the winter with no losses
(400 plants).

The Hosta that were "stored" on top of the ground (A pile of fifty plants) ,
without any soil at all, of course made it through the winter with no
problems.

Paul