From: Parwinder Grewal +ADw-grewal.4+AEA-osu.edu+AD4-
To: Daniel Nelson +ADw-sussextreeinc+AEA-ce.net+AD4-
Date: Monday, April 19, 1999 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: Hello and request for more Hosta plants

Hello Dan:

Sorry for the delay in reply.  My response is in capital letters.

Parwinder Grewal

At 10:17 PM 4/11/99 -0400, you wrote:

+AD4APg-Dr. Grewal,
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-I was wondering how the nematode testing was coming. My hostas are
+AD4APg-starting to come up and I plan on treating with Vydate L soon. I was
+AD4APg-hoping to get some feedback to help with my treatments. I also have
+AD4APg-Nemacur available.
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-I have an isolated bed where I have planted hostas from several
friends
+AD4APg-and my collections that show visible signs of foliar nematodes. There
+AD4APg-are probably 35 cultivars total. They were treated twice last summer
+AD4APg-with Vydate L. I plan several treatments this summer. I plant on
+AD4APg-treating on 10 to 12 day cycles to break the life cycle. I figure I
+AD4APg-can't kill the eggs but if I am able to kill several generations of
+AD4APg-adults I may be able to deplete the egg supply. Do you know if some
eggs
+AD4APg-stay dormant for long periods of time?

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THERE IS DORMANCY IN THE EGGS OF THIS NEMATODE.
HATCHING IS TEMPERATURE DEPENDENT OFF COURSE.  I THINK YOUR TREATMENT
SCHEDULE WILL BE QUITE AGGRESSIVE AND SHOULD SUPPRESS NEMATODE SYMPTOMS
ON
HOSTAS.

+AD4APg-Something else that interest me:
+AD4APg-I understand it is very rare to totally eliminate insect pest. It may
+AD4APg-come to pass that the foliar nematodes can not be totally controlled.
It
+AD4APg-may turn out that one or two timely treatments with a nematicide  may
+AD4APg-keep the nematode population low enough that there will be no visible
+AD4APg-signs. I already suspect that nematodes that have shown up in some
+AD4APg-northern gardens in beds that have been established for 10 or 12 years
+AD4APg-were there all along and only became visible because weather
conditions
+AD4APg-favored high nematode populations last summer. It's just a thought,
and
+AD4APg-a hell of a long sentence.

YOUR DEAD RIGHT ON THIS ONE.  IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE NEMATODE MAY HAVE
BEEN THERE ALL ALONG, BUT THE EXPRESSION OF THE DISEASE WAS SEVERE LAST
YEAR DUE TO WARM AND HUMID WEATHER. IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE THAT THE
NEMATODE
HAS BUILD UP POPULATIONS DURING THOSE 10-12 YEARS IN THE SOIL, AND LEAF
LITTER AND IN THE BUDS OF THE HOSTAS.

+AD4APg-Any thoughts as to how imidacloprid may work to control foliar
+AD4APg-nematodes? I know it's not labeled for nematodes, but it does control
+AD4APg-lot of things. I use it on Hemlock woolly adelgid. A difficult pest to
+AD4APg-get under control.

NO IMIDACLOPRID WOULD NOT WORK AGAINST THE NEMATODE AS IT HAS NO
TOXICITY
TO NEMATODES.

+AD4APg-If you ever want to get on a listserserve with 170 hosta collectors
and
+AD4APg-talk about nematodes, let me know. I co-own hosta-open and we would be
+AD4APg-glad to have you join us.

YES, I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE LIST SERVER AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE
THE
INFORMATION ON THIS NEMATODE.

I DO HAVE A REQUEST FOR MORE HOSTA PLANTS.  BOTH DR. JAGDALE AND I WOULD
LIKE TO EVALUATE DIFFERENT CULTIVARS FOR DIFFERENCES IN SUSCEPTIBILITY
THIS NEMATODE.  FOR THAT WE NEED TO HAVE A FEW PLANTS OF EACH CULTIVAR.

+AD4APg-Thank You,
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-Dan Nelson
+AD4APg-Bridgeville DE