From: Daniel Nelson +ADw-sussextreeinc+AEA-ce.net+AD4-
To: hosta-open +ADw-hosta-open+AEA-mallorn.com+AD4-
Cc: AHSE-MAILROBIN+AEA-HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM +ADw-AHSE-MAILROBIN+AEA-HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM+AD4-
Date: Saturday, April 24, 1999 8:52 PM
Subject: Preen, Roundup, Surflan and Treflan

+AD4-Concerning Preen hurting hostas.
+AD4-
+AD4-Sally Murphy wrote me and said she and Bob had been using Preen for 10
+AD4-years and it has worked fine. I believe Preen has the same active
+AD4-ingredient as the agricultural herbicide Treflan.
+AD4-
+AD4-My herbicide program:
+AD4-
+AD4-I have been using the pre emergent herbicide Surflan for the first time
+AD4-this year. It comes with a Turf and Ornamental label and has hostas
+AD4-listed right on the label. The application rate for hostas in 1.5 to 3
+AD4-ounces per 1000 square feet. It has directions for mixing Surflan and
+AD4-Roundup on the label and this is the mix I am going to use all summer.
+AD4-It is also labeled for container growing use. This Roundup/Surflan mix
+AD4-is only applied to weeds of course.
+AD4-
+AD4-This is a weed killing program with two methods of operation. The
+AD4-Roundup kills the living weeds. (it has been reported that Roundup may
+AD4-aid in the breaking of dormancy of weed seeds) The Surflan kills weed
+AD4-seeds in the soil when they germinate where the mix was sprayed to kill
+AD4-the live weeds.
+AD4-
+AD4-The Surflan in the mix gives anything sprayed an orange tint letting you
+AD4-know where you have sprayed.
+AD4-
+AD4-I know herbicides are a hot topic around here. I hope this starts a
+AD4-fire.
+AD4-
+AD4-Dan Nelson
+AD4-Bridgeville DE
+AD4-zone 7
+AD4-SussexTreeInc+AEA-ce.net
+AD4APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9-
+AD4-
+AD4------Original Message-----
+AD4-From: Gregory +ACY- Carla Miller +ADw-homemade+AEA-MEGSINET.NET+AD4-
+AD4-To: AHSE-MAILROBIN+AEA-HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM
+AD4APA-AHSE-MAILROBIN+AEA-HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM+AD4-
+AD4-Date: Saturday, April 24, 1999 12:53 AM
+AD4-Subject: Re: Preen
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4APg-NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-It is not safe to use.  I called the manufacturer concerning this two
+AD4-years
+AD4APg-ago.  They said that if the plant is not listed on the label, do not
+AD4-use it.
+AD4APg-I explicitly asked about hostas.  The gentleman said that it would
+AD4-either
+AD4APg-harm or kill the hosta.
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-See ya Josh+ACE-
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-Gregory Miller
+AD4APg-
+AD4APgA+- -----Original Message-----
+AD4APgA+- From: AHS-sponsored members' discussion of genus Hosta +ACY-
+AD4-Societymission.
+AD4APgA+- +AFs-mailto:AHSE-MAILROBIN+AEA-HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM+AF0-On Behalf Of Josh Spece
+AD4APgA+- Sent: Thursday, April 22, 1999 12:42 PM
+AD4APgA+- To: AHSE-MAILROBIN+AEA-HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM
+AD4APgA+- Subject: Preen
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- Hi everyone,
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- Just a quick question...is the pre-emergence herbicide Preen safe to
+AD4-use
+AD4APgA+- on potted hostas?  Thanks+ACEAIQ-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- Josh
+AD4APgA+- Iowa
+AD4APgA+- soggy zone 4
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- --
+AD4APgA+- Josh's Garden Web
+AD4APgA+- http://www.pal-metto.com/jspece/
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- In The Country Garden +ACY- Gifts
+AD4APgA+- http://www.angelfire.com/ia/incountry/index.html
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- JS Web Page Design
+AD4APgA+- http://www.angelfire.com/ia/jspece
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg-
+AD4APgA+- +ACI-There are always two choices.
+AD4APgA+- Two paths to take.  One is easy.
+AD4APgA+- And its only reward is that
+AD4APgA+- it's easy.+ACI-
+AD4APgA+-         --Unknown
+AD4APgA+- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4-
+AD4-To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo+AEA-mallorn.com with the
+AD4-message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN
+AD4-