Preen, Roundup, Surflan and Treflan

Concerning Preen hurting hostas.

Sally Murphy wrote me and said she and Bob had been using Preen for 10
years and it has worked fine. I believe Preen has the same active
ingredient as the agricultural herbicide Treflan.

My herbicide program:

I have been using the pre emergent herbicide Surflan for the first time
this year. It comes with a Turf and Ornamental label and has hostas
listed right on the label. The application rate for hostas in 1.5 to 3
ounces per 1000 square feet. It has directions for mixing Surflan and
Roundup on the label and this is the mix I am going to use all summer.
It is also labeled for container growing use. This Roundup/Surflan mix
is only applied to weeds of course.

This is a weed killing program with two methods of operation. The
Roundup kills the living weeds. (it has been reported that Roundup may
aid in the breaking of dormancy of weed seeds) The Surflan kills weed
seeds in the soil when they germinate where the mix was sprayed to kill
the live weeds.

The Surflan in the mix gives anything sprayed an orange tint letting you
know where you have sprayed.

I know herbicides are a hot topic around here. I hope this starts a
fire.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7
SussexTreeInc+AEA-ce.net
+AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQ-