RE: Variegated cotyledon

Title: RE: Variegated cotyledon

From streaked pod parents, the variegation is often visible at the first leaf stage. From a non-streaked pod parent I have found a few seedlings that are streaked. I have a streaked H. 'Spritzer' OP seedling. It is a kind of mottled streaky variegation. I also have a couple of H. 'Maekawa' OP streaked seedlings. The variegation on the first few leaves sometimes goes away with later leaves.

Norm Lesch
Manchester, MD

    From:   halinar@open.org[SMTP:halinar@open.org]
    Sent:   Sunday, April 25, 1999 8:56 AM
    To:     hosta-open@mallorn.com
    Subject:        Variegated cotyledon

    Last fall I planted a bunch of open pollinated hosta seeds from
    certain selected plants.  Some of these were planted in seperate flats
    by pod parent, but the lables are on the bottom of the flats, so I
    don't know which seed is in which flat until I transplant the
    seedlings - except for the seeds from Abiqua Recluse.

    Most of the cotyledons are either green or yellow, but one is
    variegated.  I'm assuming the variegated cotyledon will produce a
    variegated seedling.  I was wondering if anyone on this robin has had
    any experience with detecting variegated seedlings at the cotyledon
    stage.  Is this something unique or common for variegated seedlings?

    Joe Halinar