Re: hosta platinagea (sp?)

In a message dated 8/16/00 8:01:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jcosler@mindspring.com writes:

<<  yellowing & rotting. >>

Judy, plantaginea is called August Lily by old gardeners because it blooms in
August, as do most of the fragrant hostas.

I have lots of hostas that are putting out a new flush of leaves while a
couple at the bottom turn orange or brown and I just pull them off.
Sometimes it is not enough moisture.

Check to make sure that there is no mulch around the crown as this will
promote fungus and crown rot. Sometimes it is too much moisture, stick your
finger into the ground near the crown and see how damp it is.

Sure others have ideas about the problem, or not a problem.  N.