Re: hosta platinagea (sp?)

Judy Cosler wrote:

> I bought a platinagea hosta this spring, planted it in a semi s-semi s
> place.

Hi Judy, we have found that plantaginea performs best here in the
mountains in at least 3/4 full sun, and even better in more sun. Since
this plant originated in sub tropical China it also requires relatively
warm night time temperatures (consistently above 55) for good blooms.
Our night temperatures have been around 60, and the plants are in full
bloom now. This is not true for plantaginea 'Aphrodite', however. We
have a huge clump of this one that has had only one bloom to open in the
last 6 years!  The clump now has at least 20 scapes, each loaded with
immature flower buds, but none have developed to the point of actually
opening. This is due to low night time temperatures, which have been as
low as 49 this month. We don't anticipate that we will see blooms this
year.  Strangely, the plants performed beautifully in our Minnesota days
(Long Lake) where night time temperatures were higher than here in the
mountains.  Where are you located?

 it seems quite happy & has put out several new leaves!
> However, at the same time, the bottom leaves are yellowing & rotting.

This could be the "infamous" Southern Blight; Sclerotium rolfsii, which
causes the petioles to rot at their juncture to the rhizome. Mulches,
especially hardwood bark, has been said to aggravate conditions which
bring on this problem. We have been applying a drench of a systemic
fungicide called "Contrast" to plants which show the first signs of the
problem. It has eliminated the problem here.

> Explanation?  also, when should I expect (have expected) this hosta to
> bloom?

Yes, I feel it should have bloomed by now.  Good luck

John Lanier

  that's what I was waiting for!!

--
MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier