minimum time/registration/reserv'd names

I 100% agree with Chick.   I think that if you have a plant the you feel

worthy of registration and have thought up a name that fits the plant
it's, as Mary C. likes to call it 'personality' =), you should be able
to name
it and hold the name until the time comes where registration will occur.

I have a plant, it's a sport of a new and very popular hosta.  It is
worty of eventual registration.  I have picked a name for it, actually
since who knows, by the time I get around to registering it one may be
taken-  Anyway, all I have of it is one tiny division.  I could whip up
paper work right now and send it in but if for some reason it doesn't
what the heck am I going to do with a registered Hosta that no longer
exists?  Hope to heck somebody else, much later of course, comes up
with the same sport and then figures it is what I -had- and then they go

by my name with it and it then exists?  I want to grow my plant to some
size, probably three years and then divide if all goes well before I
But I'd like to post a pic of it and call it something other than say
of Allegan Fog' or say Allegan Fog Reversed.  That to me is

I do wish the system was a bit better than it is but I assume that will
in time and with a little constructive proding.  Who knows, I am fairly
to this and can only appreciate all that has gone on before me.