Re: minimum a plant should be grown and observed

Actually, I wasn't told anything.  However  !!!warning, opinion follows!!!

It seems to me that an informal arrangement that is not publicized is nearly as bad as no procedure at all.  If I have a plant ready to register and the registrar tells me that someone else has reserved the name using a procedure that I didn't know about, and that all I have to do is publish my name and description in my catalog to invalidate his reservation, I may or may not do it (for some people I might just do it for meanness, and I'm sure a few would love to do it to me), but it does not seem like the best system we could come up with.

If we are going to do something like this, I think everyone should be aware of the names that have been requested.  I don't know if the daylily society still does it, especially if it's prohibited, but if I recall they used to publish reserved names in their handbook.  I don't remember that there was any unmanageable list, in fact there were very few, and if the daylily people couldn't abuse a system like that, nobody could.