Re: naming plants

  • Subject: Re: naming plants
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 12:06:54 -0400

This post is intended to respond to yours re some confusion about use of species
names in front of other horticultural names whether they are Japanese or other
language names.

In the case of "urajiro" , I caution its use with longipes unless it is known that
it is derived ( or collected) from a  longipes population. There are plants which
have been  collected from montana populations, for example,  which have been given
the name H. montana 'Urajiro'. Urajiro means white backed. It is possible for this
descriptive adjective (urajiro)  to be applied correctly to any white backed
species found in the wild, for example H. montana 'Urajiro'.

In the case of H.  longipes 'Urajiro Hachijo', it is described to be  a selection
of longipes latifolia found in the wild and given a Japanese horticultural name. I
have this plant having received it from a friend in Japan. I have propagated it
into substantial numbers.I believe  that I am correct on this matter of these
names mentioned herein  but would be willing to discuss the matter in. further
detail with anyone publically. or in private.

I want to thank you publically for the great work you are doing in keeping the
hosta library up to date. The 250,000 hits are an acknowledgment of its value. I
assume that many volunteers are also helping with this work. I intend to provide
constructive suggestions from time to time if they are welcome...with the sole
purpose in helping to make information contained in the library a bit more
accurate. It is impossible for all information to be 100 percent correct at all
times. Updating  requires continued corrections as new, more correct  information
is found to be better than any existing erroneous information in the library.

Please keep up the great contributions you are making using your exceptional
computer and other  skills.

Jim Hawes