Re: naming plants

  • Subject: Re: naming plants
  • From: bob <bobaxe@sbtek.net>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 11:06:54 -0500

Hank Zumach wrote:
> Hi Bob--It seems to me that no matter which method of naming is used,  some
> confusion would result.  Would it be a problem to have a cross reference on
> varieties such as Elatior where there is some confusion?  It might be
> listed, WITHOUT photos, under the "E" section as 'Elatior" with a referral
> to see the listing "nigrescens 'Elatior'" WITH photos, under the "N"
> section.

Hi Hank
	This might actually be the best solution for the library anyway. It
would be nice if there was a reason to name them the way they are named
and Bill seemed to have one but quite a few don't seem to follow the
rule. I an hoping someone from the AHS or the registration people would
have an answer other than that is the way it always has been.
	I used to import rare tropical fish from Africa and we always used the
species name with every fish, tropheus moorii, pseudotropheus zebra, etc
and then if there was a morph of some color we would add that to the
end. Tropheus moorii "Kasanga", Tropheus moorii "Katili", etc. So no
matter where you were you knew what the fish was.  With hostas so far
there seems no rhythm or reason.
                Hostasonline http://hostasonline.com/
                Hosta Library http://hostalibrary.org/