Re: elatior

  • Subject: Re: elatior
  • From: bob <bobaxe@sbtek.net>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:26:26 -0500

Bill Meyer wrote:

> Hi Gerry and Marvin,
>           I sent word of this discussion to Jim Wilkins, who is the new
> Registrar. He's only had the job for a few weeks now, and may be away as he
> has not yet answered my post. Lu Treadway's database has been adopted by the
> AHS and was available on CD for $5.00 (I think) at the Convention. It will
> become available at the AHS website soon. I suppose this means that it is
> now considered official by the AHS, as the information in it is drawn from
> the registrations.
Hi Bill
	Does Lu's database just contain registered plants or NR plants also.
	I guess the reason I asked the guestion about using species names was
to find out why they do it that way, what are the rules which I never
did find out. Your saying it was because they were found in the wild and
Marvin's answer that they used to be done differently both make sense.
With almost anything new it is always evolving and that is probably what
is happening here. It isn't always clear to people though because when
people send photos in more than half never use the species names for
ones that are named using it and I am sure an equal amount never find
what they are looking for in the library when named with species names.
Plus it is the biggest pain to have to remove a plant from one section
and add it to another, alot of searching for and deleting files.
--
Bye
                Hostasonline http://hostasonline.com/