Re: White Xmas & Summer Music

  • Subject: Re: White Xmas & Summer Music
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:56:20 -0400

Hi Chris,
        If there's a secret, I don't have it. I just bought really big, strong multi-division plants at nurseries. They grew very well after that. I recently saw a wholesaler put out huge 'Fire and Ice' plants in 3gal. pots, so they can be grown, too. This touches on the TC vs. OS argument, but what I've seen is that some TC batches grow uniformly well, some are a mix of grow/don't grow, and some don't grow at all. The uneven batches usually have some good plants in them, but these always sell first. If you get there after the strong-growing ones are gone, the one you buy probably won't grow well no matter what you do. My advice is to let the nurseries grow them on, then get there early in the season and pick a good one from the batch. I don't think it's a "variety" thing, I think it's a tissue-culture quality control thing. The labs send out plants that look OK and evenly growing, but what the retailers have after one year isn't always the same from one batch to another.
                                                                           ............Bill Meyer