Re: H. 'Light Hearted'?

  • Subject: Re: H. 'Light Hearted'?
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:58:48 -0500

>This hosta was one of the "new" ones I saw in Old Spokey. I also thought it
>a little different and purchased one of the few available. It was at the
>Tower Nursery and in Alan's garden. However the pic I have of it in the
>garden suggests that either it changes during growth or didnt come right
>from TC or something. The garden pic plant has a dark edge with a white
>thinish pretty attractive center, whilst the plant I brought home was a
>lighter green and the center probably fades from cream to white. Of course I
>may just have got confused (again) ........

Tim: Thanks for the response. I had a note from Alan Tower and indeed
claimed the plant and said that it was for sale. The photo I saw was
Barbara Jones..from his garden.  It is a small plant I would guess, with
cordate leaves. The center as you suggest is white but  on the leaves I saw
the white middle vein is very uneven with sharp jagged edges going off into
the leaf, but not necessarily accentuating the veins. Perhaps a little bit
like a white irregular flame.  That is the part that appeals to me, and I
know that it might just be this single plant, and its chief virtue (to
me)the flamming white will not be part of the TC lot. Still hope springs
eternal and I will hope the best. I ordered some of course. thanks again

"Depression is just the anger without enthusiasm." Steve Wright
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839