Re: Hosta Science Workshop--cancellation

  • Subject: Re: Hosta Science Workshop--cancellation
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" alietzow@myfamily.com
  • Date: 17 Aug 2003 08:35:07 -0600

Re: Hosta Science Workshop

RE:>> Ann Arbor got power back about noon today ... but not soon enough to hold off the cancellation.

Dear, in particular, HHG members,

I just logged about 1,100 miles making a trip to a meeting that was not to be.  All was not for naught--I am now familiar  with finding a needle in a haystack==Washtenaw Community College Campus on Huron Drive in Ann Arbor--Yahoo/Mapquest seems to think is flip-flopped East to West, or something.  If a local hadn't led me from the west side to the east side of Huron Drive, I'd probably still be trying to find that campus.  Jeepers--what a scenic tour that was.  How do you find anything up there in Michigan  with all of those trees obstructing your view!   You need some open fields of corn and sow beans so you can see where you're going!

I did take advantage of being there and stopped to see Tom Schmid's nursery operation, adding a few new Hostas to the collectoin (H. 'Jack the Knife' just speaks to ya, "Buy me, Buy me!") and finished the trip up with another tour of Andrew and Kay Yunger's awesome Hosta and Conifer garden in Kalamazoo.

Being a genetics buff, however, I was really looking forward to a review of Mendelian genetics and Punnett Squares, as applied to Hosta.  Finding time and justifying the expense may not occur again in my lifetime--guess we'll just have to start an Iowa Chapter!

I had so wanted to meet so many of the group in person.  That opportunity has become another casualty of the power grid snafu.  Well, maybe at the 2004 convention in DM?   Anyone in the Hybridizer's group with a video camera and tripod?   Hopefully, I can get Ed or another member to send me whatever handouts will be offered.    Shoot, I even drove though 1 day of 41days of the monsoon season that Chick was talking about.  Can't be get some of you fellas/gals to send that rain back toward Iowa and Nebraska?  We could really use a nice drink!

Get your own family web site at at www.MyFamily.com!