Re: Great Expectations

  • Subject: Re: Great Expectations
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:37:36 -0500

Dear Butch and Open'ers,

For openers, let me just say that it looks like I might learn something today.  And, any day that I can end having learned something meaningful is a good day.  With that said ...

Okay, based on the comments that are flowing around, I'm going to mentally "upgrade" Tattoo from a 1 to a 2, and I'm going to downgrade GE from a 9 to an 8, both on a scale of 1 to 10.  (I did not keep a tally, perhaps Narda M. did?).

The reason GE is still so much higher is that i PERSONALLY have seen many, many more fine GE specimens in gardens than I have Tattoo's.

I think what I'm going to do with Tattoo is this; remove it from it's pot, roll it around on the driveway for a bit, then I'll apply Rootone to the crown and spray it to runoff with 1500pm BAP.  I'll replant in its own rubberized pot, which I have buried to the brim in a location where most other Hosta are thriving, and we'll see how it goes.  I'll plan to give a report on its performance later this fall  or next spring.

I am, however, still waiting for list members who are having success with H. 'Tattoo' to provide details about their soil mix, the hours of sunlight and positioning in the garden, supplementary level of water they apply (1" per week, 1/2" every other day, 1" per day, etc.), and any special nutrients they provide (1/2 strength liquid 20-20-20 three times a month, Osmocote in the spring once and then never touch it, etc.).

If there are people having succes with this plant, then it seems likely that there is a formula for that success.  I want to learn microclimate details so I can emulate them here in my garden.  I'm not trying to kill the plant on purpose, trust me.   :<)

As for GE, here is where Marvin keeps a photo of one plant I have in my garden.  http://hostalibrary.org/lemke/photos/Great%20Expectations-56-%20%20-2-.jpg

It has been in this same location for right at 12 years, undisturbed.  Because of it's age, maybe it is closer to the original GE types?   The soil IS higher in clay content than what I provide for most other Hosta (I planted it before I learned that I should amend this Iowa loam soil), so perhaps this is a key ingredient in the formula for success?

I will take a photo of the smaller version I have out front, and then just for fun, I'll take a snapshot of my "Tattoo"-- the plant version sillies, not the virtual one in my wife's dreams...

Ciao,
Andrew