Re: roundup

  • Subject: Re: roundup
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:30:26 -0400

Hi Narda and Kris,
       I've never heard of Roundup (glyphosphate) being dangerously
poisonous to any mammals. I just ran a search on the topic and even the most
fervent anti-chemical references don't mention anything like that. There's a
study of human poisoning with it from the factory where it is made and 93
cases are reviewed. There were 7 deaths, and a variety of illnesses but the
most severe were the result of actually ingesting very large amounts of 41%
strength. The stuff you would use around the yard is only 2-3%. Those people
apparently drank 85-200ml (and sometimes much more) of the 41% solution.
Some drank 500ml without serious harm. What they were doing drinking the
stuff is beyond me but that is a lot more than the small amount of 2% a dog
might get from licking its paws. Acute toxicty everywhere (including the
WHO) is considered "slight". This is a chemical in very widespread use, so
millions of people, pets, and wildlife animals have been exposed to it by
now. If this was a common event there would be a lot of talk about it.
       Here's a sample of an article by a strongly anti-biotechnology
writer:

In her "Glyphosphate Fact Sheet," Cox states that "Given the marketing of
glyphosphate herbicides as benign, it is striking that herbicide studies
have adverse effects in all standard toxicology testing. These include
medium toxicity (salivary gland lesions), long-term toxicity (inflamed
stomach linings), genetic damage (in human blood cells), effects on
reproduction (reduced sperm counts in rats; increases frequency of abnormal
sperm in rabbits) and carcinogenicity (increased frequency of liver tumors
in male rats and thyroid cancer in female rats). In studies of people
(mostly farmers) exposed to glyphosphate herbicides, exposure is associated
with an increased risk of miscarriages, premature birth and the cancer
non-Hodgkins Lymphoma."

        This is the sort of thing that I've found in the search and it
concerns large amounts of exposure. The kind of reaction your dog had is
never mentioned anywhere that I've found. Possibly it was an allergic
reaction to something in it, but that isn't mentioned anywhere either,
although allergic reactions in mammals are commonly talked about with other
common chemicals like the pyrethrum-based pesticides (RAID, etc.)
       Do you think something else might have been the problem? If so, the
problem may still exist there as a threat to other pets or even family
members. Were any other chemicals used where the dog may have been exposed
to them? Roundup seems to be an unlikely source of the problem.
                                                  ........Bill Meyer