soil

  • Subject: soil
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:45:52 -0700 (PDT)

Butch says; Rod somewhere in all these post on soil
building i mentioned that tilling in causes a problem.
Organic matter is placed under less porous soil and
decays by anaerobic (lack of oxygen) activity. This
process of anaerobic decomposition: carbohydrate -->
CO2 + acid or alcohol + energy (Singer and Munns,
1996).
The acid or alcohol in this equation are detrimental
to the plant roots so the soil must recover from
tilling in. This is not usually great damage but it
takes as much as 5 years to fully recover and as
little as 2 years. Anaerobic decomposition selects for
the wrong bacterial and fungal activity which must be
brought back into balance for optimal growth.

The place or area where growth occurs most
prolifically is in the soil just below the mulched
area. The compost is not really a good growing area by
itself. Compost is predigested organic matter and
placed on top of the soil it will be attacked by the
natural process and begin to make a good growing area.

I've finally come to believe the old adage means:
The 1st year it sleeps: waiting for the soil to start
to deliver what the roots need.

The 2nd year it creeps: the proper ingredients are
moving in so good growth can begin.

The 3rd year it leaps: finally the planting area has
overcome the intrusion of a planting and enough of the
things required for growth are there and the plant
seems to jump.

The things I'm talking about are not new to soil
scientist but they turn upside down all the things
gardeners have been told, at least for the 40 years
I've been gardening. We (humans) can not interfere
with the natural process of soil building.