Re: Fertilizer Bargain

BBROWNJ@aol.com wrote:

> << August is the best time to fertilize your hostas in the summer.  >>
>
> Gosh, I would be scared to use a timed release fertilizer so late in the year.
> UNLESS it  has only a months life span. Do not like to fertilize late in
> season and stimulate new growth and have  an early frost possibly hit. Maybe
> you CAN do it in Indy, but not in New England
>
> Barbara Jones
> Mass
> z4b/5
Time to look at the fertlizer thing with open eyes.  Let's remember in
the "wild" they recieve NO fertlizer applications.  So------first we
should strive to learn how verious species "manage" in their native
habitat.  Next, Remember these are members of the Lily family.  They have
periods of active root devlopment,and periods, where thye "live" on
stored "food"  Most Hostas have little new root devlopment in early
spring.  Applying any kind of fertlizer, during very early season, is no
doubt a waste. The two root flushes that we generally experience. Here in
the North East, differ with the specific Hosta variety, but are usually
obseravble about six weeks before bloom on a given plant., and again, as
buds for spring are forming.  I have read several reports from verious
folks that Hostas are heavy feeders.  I believe that is nonsence.
Feeding hostas heavly produces all kinds of unwanted results and should
be avoided!  Clyde is right in sugesting a timed releae fertlizer
application.  But I agree with Barbara that this should goon earlier in
the season.  generally about six weeks before bloom time for a given
variety.  In most areas this will then "carry" the plants needs through
the entire season.  One farther comment.  For many year Alex summere has
been suggesting that a policy of no fertlizer is the beat policy.  I tend
to agree,  While we do a limited amount of "feeding on field Hostas.  I
have never applied any fertlizer to the plants in my show gardens.  For
those who have never visited, I can tell you, they are thriving.  We use
planty of water , adjust the soil to slightly acid, work hard to
establish proper "siting", and coustantly "upgrade" our soils with the
addtion of humus materials.  It works!!
Ran Lydell