Re: Catalogues

Sheila (Michael D. Cook) wrote:

> I just read Avent's fall catalogue, and he has some interesting offerings.
> One is a hardy banana tree (10' tall), which I will plant at my foundation
> and pamper like the fuchsias to keep it alive outdoors.  I believe it will
> make an excellent hosta companion, in looks, at least.  If anyone has grown
> one, please give advice.

I want to share a success story that may be of interest to you.  In
June, I sent to Plant Delights for some things, including Canna 'Bengal
Tiger.'  (see Tony's spring catalog)  Today it is over five feet tall,
with many, many green-and-white-striped leaves, and, as of two days ago,
a large orange blossom.  It is a wonderful complement to full-grown
hostas!		Irwin Johnson