Sorry, I sent this message to the AHS forum yesterday and forgot to send
it to the open.
I just received more information and am preparing more detailed info.
Will send shortly.

Message follows

Ta Da!

Abbott Laboratories has just come out with a new product called DiTera,
a biological control for nematodes.  I just happened
to get information  from one of our horticultural supply companies about
new products and there it was.  So I called Abbott got
some information.

First of all, this is a biological control, with as of yet no known
hazard to people, wildlife, or the environment according to
Abbott.  I was told that EPA approval was very quick and restrictions
for use of the product are minimal because they do not
consider it to be dangerous.

It has not been tested and is therefore not listed for use on hostas, so
Abbott could not recommend its use for hostas.  Usually,
I think this means that a manufacturer cannot see enough profit
potential to pay for the testing necessary to list a given crop on
its label.

So far I have not found any indication that is is going to be available
packaged for resale.  It is packaged for agricultural use and
is very expensive.  Smallest quantity I have found so far costs $450
wholesale.  Usually, these packages are for mixing large
quantities for use in fields, so the product may not be too expensive to
use if it can be had in smaller packages.  I am trying to
find the application rate and whether I can obtain it in a resale size
or if it's use is not restricted, whether I can repackage it
myself for resale.  The product is so new that I could not get answers
to all my questions, but they are supposed to send me a
label, which should answer at least some of them. With many new
insecticides, fungicides, etc, the manufacturers do not find it
economically worthwhile to sell them in consumer size packages.  If I
remember my Business Law 101, it is not usually illegal to
repackage and resell a product unless it is specifically prohibitted.
I'm sure that EPA regulations that did not exist back in my
school daze may complicate matters now, but I'm trying to find out.

C.H. or anybody else, if you have any other information about this
product, please let me know.  My experience has been that
getting answers to questions about these things is often a pain in the
rear.  I don't want to spend a lot of time messing with it if
someone already knows its a waste of time.

I suggest that we at least slow the spread of the nematode panic until I
or others can get more information.