For those who did not read my earlier message, there is a new biological

product that just came on the market for treating nematodes.  It is made

from a dried, fermented organism (Myrothecium verrucaria if anybody
cares) and it appears that it is relatively harmless to people and the
environment, especially when compared to the organic chemical
nematicides currently available to licensed applicators.  The following
message provides more information.

OK, I just got the information on DiTera from Abbott Laboratories.  Here

DiTera is a biological nematicide in granular form.  It is labeled as a
nematode suppressant.  It is either incorporated into the soil in
granular form or mixed with water and applied to the soil.  It carries a

'Caution' label, which is the lowest level of hazard warning allowed by
the EPA.  Personal protective equipment required for applicators are
long sleeve shirt, long pants, waterproof gloves, and shoes and socks.
Anyone familiar with pesticide labeling will recognize this as pretty
tame.  The label says to flush your eyes with water if you get it in
your eyes and wash with soap and water if you get it on you.  It does
not warn against eating the product, but I don't recommend it.  It also
warns against contaminating water with the product, but does not contain

any warnings of danger to wildlife.

I have not found any indication that DiTera is going to be offered in
sizes suitable for gardeners.  The guy at Abbott that I talked to said
he couldn't care less if I bought it and repackaged it for resale.
Their lawyers might feel differently, but that's good enough for me.  If

there is serious interest out there, I will get the stuff and put it
into small packages.

By my calculations, at a low-moderate rate of application, 1 ounce of
DiTera will treat 100 sq feet of surface.  If you assume a two foot
square (four square feet) per plant average soil surface, that would be
enough to treat 25 plants one time.  As with most treatments for most
pests, I doubt that this is an absolute cure for the problem and suspect

that repeat treatments are advisable.

I will measure the granules into 1 oz packets and send 4 packets for
$25.00 including packing and shipping.  I realize that this is not
inexpensive, but I really can't justify the time and trouble for smaller

quantities.  I will include a copy of the label and plain English
instructions.  If you need a larger quantity, we will ship a single 1
pound package for $65.00.  Also, there has to be sufficient interest
from you folks for me to bother setting this up, since I don't intend to

offer it other than to the forum members at this time.  I have to buy it

in fairly formidable quantities, so I'm not going to spend the money
unless there are a number of people who want it.  I also don't know how
much trouble this is going to be, but based on my past repackaging
experiences, I may not make this an ongoing offer.  If you would like
some, please let me know ASAP.

Obviously I don't make any promises for this stuff.  It is brand new and

I have not used it.  All of the information I have comes from the