Re: dying hosta

In a message dated 8/12/99 8:01:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
seabeth@heart.net writes:

<< I have had quite a lot of this problem this year.  Can I assume it is
 along because of dry conditions?  We are getting rain this morning and it is
 great!  Supposed to rain all day and it looks like it might. >>

OK!!!!  2 questions.....

(1)  what is the difference in appearance between a hosta that is simply
going dormant [due to heat/drought] and one suffering from the dreaded

(2)  what if any effect does fertilizer play in the disease.....in other
words.....are people who over fertilize more susceptible to the
disease....first in the sense that the plant may be large but too
tender....whats the term that is escaping me now.....and.....presuming the
hosta are pampered with too much fert....can too much water, when the temp is
too high increase the potential for the problem?

in other words would leaving the plant to mother nature, presuming it isnt a
brand new baby plant....be better than killing it with love?

now......those who have had the disease this year....please inform us of your
protocol for water, fert, and soil amendment.....IS THERE A CORRELATION?