Re: dying hosta

Marekmohr@aol.com wrote:

> OK!!!!  2 questions.....
> (1)  what is the difference in appearance between a hosta that is simply
> going dormant [due to heat/drought] and one suffering from the dreaded
> disease....

One suffering from souothern blight has loose or detached petioles. The
base of the petiole is simply "rotted" away from the crown, and has
white mycelium on it.
> (2)  what if any effect does fertilizer play in the disease.....in other
> words.....are people who over fertilize more susceptible to the
> disease....first in the sense that the plant may be large but too
> tender....whats the term that is escaping me now.....and.....presuming the
> hosta are pampered with too much fert.

No difference here. Some clumps with it here have never been fertilized.

...can too much water,

This seems to be a definit factor here.

>when the temp is too high increase the potential for the problem?

I have never seen the temp here above 80. The flip side of this is that
I never had the problem in SW Mississippi where the temps are
unbelievable, or Minnesota where temps can be quite hight too. I would
say temps are a factor, but only because they are usually on the cool
side. In the Microbiology lab we routinely cultured molds at 23 C,
whereas bacteria were cultured at 35 C.
> in other words would leaving the plant to mother nature, presuming it isnt a
> brand new baby plant....be better than killing it with love?

Not necessarily so!

> now......those who have had the disease this year....please inform us of your
> protocol for water, fert, and soil amendment.....IS THERE A CORRELATION?

Have no special protocol here due to too many hostas spread out over 5
acrea. Just spot control is about all I can do.