Re: Transposable elements

I have a question:

Does "position effect" mean something else than what I have learned is the
classical definition in our fly lab, which is the placement (of a P-element
or other transposable element) into the heterochromatic regions of the
chromosome, therefore having some silencing of the DNA due to repression,
vs. the insertion into regular euchromatin?  I don't know the plant jargon
well enough to know if that is what is meant by position effect, or if it
is just a generic term for being put any old place on a chromosome, and
therefore "hopping" into a gene (which could knock it out or make it
less/more functional) or even possibly landing in another functional region
of a gene, using enhancers from surrounding genes and being driven itself.
Even more likely is the possibility of landing nowhere important at all.
Stacy

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Bloomington, Indiana Z5b