Re: dying hosta

OK!!!!  2 questions.....Date: Thursday, August 12, 1999 7:49 AM
Subject: Re: dying hosta

Hello Ken!  Haven't heard much from you lately.  Hope everything is OK.

Subject at hand, I don't believe I fertilized at all this year.  It is my
practice to fertilize once in the early spring, before hosta emerge,
w/10-10-10 or similar product broadcast on beds.  That's it on fertilizer.
I water only when needed, that is, when we don't get rain.  We went for
about four weeks without rain and because soil moisture seemed adequate, I
did not water.  Finally started to water but the crown rot had begun before
that.  Soil amendments are usually at the time of planting and I use
mushroom compost, otherwise I don't amend soil such as tilling and adding
different materials.  Used to use peat but have not for several years.

Difference anyone should be able to understand between going dormant and
disease is that leaves do not separate easily from the crown on a plant
going into dormancy.  I remove leaves at the seasons end every year and when
they are almost all brown, I still cannot pull the leaves from the crown,
most have to be cut.  With crown rot, the leaves usually start to fall to
the ground and they can very easily be removed from the plant by a slight
tug.

There must be a difference between crown rots.  Namely two that I am capable
of understanding in simple lay terms.  I never seem to have the small
granules at the base of the plant, the one commonly called Southern Blight I
believe.  My problem mimics the Southern Blight without the small white
granules so must be two different crown rots.

I have used both fungicides and bleach.  Used the bleach first (50%) and it
worked but also tried the fungicide later.  The jury is still out on that
one.  Should know in another 30 days although it seems to be working at this
time.  New growth is starting on one plant on which the fungicide was used.

My experience in a nutshell.

How about some more input from others on dry conditions effecting hosta and
crown rot?  I understand that the Southern Blight is soil born pathogens but
what about the type I am experiencing where the granules are not present?

BA
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5