Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #483

Paul:

>I have an all gold "Gold Standard" and of course "Moonlight" is a
>common occurrence. When you say streaked plants do you mean plants
>that have color spread out threw out the leaf or do you mean with
>broken and variable margins that might dip deeper into the leaf
>center?

The color is spread out threw out the leaf.  I find these streaked
forms of Gold Standard somewhat difficult to grow as they bleach out
easily.  Doubt that they have any commerical value.  What I want to do
now is try to generate as many stable froms from these streaked plants
and see what comes up.  Then I will take those plants and see if I can
get back steaked forms, and....

>>A transposable element is called "transposable" because it can move
>>from chromosome to chromosome.  It is not a mutation in the
>>traditional sense of mutations.

>Is this the same as genetic cross over?

NO.  Crossing over occurs during meiosis and is what makes sex in
plants so interesting and what makes evolution possible.  Crossing
over remixes the genes you get from the two parents to produce new
combinations of genes.

Joe Halinar