Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #483

>You are going to try and "generate some sports". Can you explain this
>further? Are you doing anything beyond Bud-isolation? Or, could it be
>that you are working with a mass amount of said cultivars?

I propably should have said "produce some sports" rather then
"generate" as generate might imply some use of witch craft technology.
Basically, I am propagating large numbers using very aggressive
methods to get as many plants as possible.  Since my interest is
mainly scientific I'm not too concerned about maintaining the "true to
type" form of the plant to sell.  Some hostas propagate true to form
under the most extream propagating pressure while others sport quite
easily.  Most of the sports don't have any commerical value, but they
are interesting from a scientific point of view to see what the
pattern of sporting is.  For example, a base question is - do hostas
sport in a linear fashion or in a circular fashion?  I want to
generate these sports myself rather then rely on what others have
produced and introduced becasue a lot of sports don't get introduced.
Thus, I never let the regenerated plants get very large before I am
propagating them again - not something you want to do for a commerical
nursery if you want to maintain the true to type form.

Joe Halinar