RE: Chemical control of southern blight

> The product name is Montero and is to be introduced in time for the
> peanut crop in 1999. This would be an ag. chemical and most likely
> restricted use meaning you need an applicators license to
> purchase. Just
> a reminder, the label is the law and must be obeyed.

Dan, as a pesticide professional, I appreciate your reminder that registered
pesticides should only be used in approved situations, i.e., the particular
use MUST be listed on the label.  Otherwise, you put your health, our
environment, and your crop at risk.

If memory serves me correctly, two years ago, a food manufacturer had to
pull millions of dollars of an oat-based cereal from supermarket shelves
because the oats used in the manufacture had been fumigated (pre-milling)
with Dursban (chloropyrifos, or chloropyrifos ethyl), rather than Reldan
(chloropyrifos methyl).  Reldan is more volatile than Dursban, and
therefore, is safer to use as an insect fumigant.  It's an industrial roach
/ fly / ant spray.  Dursban is slower to volatilize, therefore it lasts
longer, and was much more likely to remain in the food product after
milling.  Regardless, the Dursban application was not an approved use, and
therefore, the product that was in contact with the non-approved use was not
saleable.

Technically, the same concept would apply to any ornamental application.
Sale of hostas on which pesticides have been applied in a non-approved use
would be illegal.  In this case, if the Montero label does not include
"ornamentals" as an approved use, you should not use it on hostas.

The correct procedure to get an expanded label into a minor crop (and
"ornamentals" are generally bundled together as one "crop") would be to
petition the EPA as a grower group.  The USDA maintains a division (IR-4)
whose primary function is to manage the studies that enable the registration
of pesticide uses on minor crops.  IR-4 is headquartered at Rutgers, New
Brunswick, NJ.  If the hosta growers group were to contact the IR-4 folks,
you could probably get a label extension for Montero (or its active
ingredient) into ornamental uses.

Richard A. (Rick) Grazzini, PhD
President
Centre Analytical Laboratories