RE; different yingerii/ The tip of the iceberg.

  • To: "Hosta" <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
  • Subject: RE; different yingerii/ The tip of the iceberg.
  • From: "Daniel Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:01:52 -0400

I think we should best leave the taxonomy to the taxonomists.  It is
much easier to deal with the horticultural varieties.

Jim Anderson

I just read an article in Science News entitled "Botanist uproot their
old tree of life". This article should interest anyone interested in the
classification of living systems.

Here's a couple highlights:

"All land plants arose from fresh water, not ocean water."

"The team has discovered that flowering plants, recently discovered to
be a single, but incredibly diverse lineage, are not divided neatly into
monocots and dicots, as is commonly taught, but rather some of the
dicots (including magnolias and water lilies) are on a branch with the
monocots (including grasses and orchids)."

"To date, scientists have identified about 1.4 million species of
organisms on earth, and estimates of the numbers of undiscovered and
undescribed species of organisms range from 10 million to more than 100

If this whets your appetite, read the whole article online @

Original source of quotes,  XVI International Botanical Congress

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE